gastro hounds

Just like your average food blog, but with 50% more attitude!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bacon - The Candy of Meat

Bacon. Tasty, wonderful bacon. The candy of meat. Perhaps the singular "Meat of the People", surpassing even the noble burger. The bacon craze has ben quite evident over recent years. I first noticed when I first had the chance to try Voodoo Donut's Bacon Maple bar. Soon after, it was Mo's Bacon Bar by Vosges Chocolate. All manor of bacon inspired offerings followed. Soon though, there would be the tail end..the nasty bits, such as Denny's Bacon Maple Sunday (which I ordered for breakfast one day) and more recently Jack in the Box's Bacon Milkshake ( heinous, I'm told). It's easy to understand why many who are certified masters on the subject often and loudly declare that the bacon craze is dead..over ...kaput. Even John Stewart, of Sonoma County's Black Pig (who teamed with Duskie Estes of Zazu to win 2011 Grand Cochon) ventured to offer up such blaspheme. Yet, like a determined zombie, bacon marches on. Relentless - unwavering. Case in point: I give you the bacon coffin.



Face it. Embrace the horror. Bacon rules.And, it was fortified with such knowledge, that I set out to make my own. My muse descended upon me when I first took notice at our Santa Rosa Farmer's Market of some blessed folk offering their own ranch raised Berkshire Hog pork products - most notably pork belly. What's so special about Berkshire hogs is that they are a heritage breed, and overall much leaner than the average commercial animal. The price also was quite reasonable: about $6 a pound. Outstanding. A quick online check of curing techniques ( I was already up on the smoking aspect) and I was ready to go. The end result: some kick ass home made bacon! It's so easy, it should be illegal. And if the Food Nazis who currently reside in our assorted govt institutions have their way, it will be illegal in our lifetime. Don't doubt me, and don't get me started. Anyhoo - here's how it went it down.

First up, the cured product. These beautiful slabs were drying, just having been washed of the salt/sugar cure I had put them through for 5 days.


My smoker in action. The cured pork bellies are smoked over hickory for 2.5 hours at about 225 degrees. No higher. We're smoking here, not roasting.


The finished product, ready to for feasting.


It's understandable that one would be nervous at the thought of consuming home made bacon on the first go around. Don't be. I've done this several times over. Even consumed some of the cured but not smoked product and all is good. In fact, it's superior in every way. And again, it's damn easy. The hardest part is finding pork belly. The folks I go to are from Dream Catcher Ranch located around Chico/Redding area. You can find them at the Wednesday Farmer's Market in Santa Rosa and online as well. Oliver's Grocery also has decent pork belly. So now you know - what's stopping you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment